POSITION AVAILABLE: Executive Director, Pacifica School Volunteers
Pacifica School Volunteers (PSV), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, seeks an enthusiastic and experienced professional to provide organizational leadership, perform and oversee day-to-day administrative operations, and provide support to the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate is highly organized; works well both independently and as part of a team; can envision and sustain broad goals, while being detail-oriented; and possesses excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
The Executive Director (ED) plays a leadership role within PSV through tracking and implementing programs, leading fundraising activities, and managing the budget and finances under the Board’s direction. The ED also provides leadership and organizational support for the Board, staff and volunteers. The ED represents PSV, and acts as a liaison for both PSV and its Board of Directors by providing information and services to public schools, funding agencies, donors, volunteers, community groups and the general public.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with school district staff, principals, and teachers to determine volunteer placements in the schools with the greatest needs.
- Oversee recruitment, screening, training and placement of adult, high school and college volunteers to assist students and teachers in Pacifica public schools.
- Recruit and oversee placement of volunteers for specialized programs such as Kindergarten Readiness, Read Aloud Days, Oceana High School Senior Exhibition and ThinkBridge Summer Camp.
- Provide on-going training opportunities for volunteers (orientations, Lunch ‘n Learn Workshops, etc.). Prepare and distribute volunteer support materials (handbook, etc.)
- Manage programs including volunteer recognition events and Read Aloud Days.
- Manage ThinkBridge Summer Camp, including marketing, registration process, staffing and program coordination.
- Work with accountant and Board to manage PSV’s budget, books, and financial records, including projecting expected cash flow and monitoring use of funds.
- Manage timely reporting to funding organizations and prepare invoices for contracts, work with accountant on tax filings.
Fundraising and Grant Administration:
- Lead fundraising efforts, including grant writing and direct mail campaign.
- Maintain master funding files, see that deadlines are met, and work with Board to monitor fundraising process and protocol.
- Administer flow of grant funding and oversee associated program activities.
- Cultivate partnerships with agencies, businesses and nonprofits.
Support Board of Directors:
- Provide support to Board members on a variety of activities.
- Lead Board development and recruitment.
- Prepare for and assist Board meetings including the development of the agenda, financial reports, and other program data.
- Provide the Board with new opportunities that strengthen the organization and/or address current challenges.
- Coordinate with the Board in developing long- and short-term plans for PSV that advance the organization’s mission.
- Supervise and support Volunteer Coordinator/Administrative Assistant.
- Oversee maintenance of physical and digital records, documents, and database.
- Respond to telephone calls, emails, and requests for information
Communications and Outreach:
- Maintain and update websites (PSV, ThinkBridge, Lit Wave). Keep social media sites current (Facebook, etc.).
- Prepare and distribute quarterly newsletters to donors, volunteers and supporters.
- Support outreach for PSV, including contact with volunteers, writing articles for local papers, and speaking at public engagements.
- Participate in local organizations that support PSV, such as the Pacifica Collaborative, Chamber of Commerce, and THRIVE, the Alliance of Non Profits for San Mateo County.
- The successful candidate will be able to:
- Plan, implement and coordinate a variety of projects simultaneously
- Work both independently and in group settings, and accept guidance from the Board
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide range of people and organizations
- Represent PSV publicly
- Effectively use word-processing, spreadsheet and database software, and be familiar with the use of social media.
- Design, develop and implement fundraising activities
Preferred Candidates have knowledge of and experience with:
- Public schools and volunteers
- Non-profit management or administration
- Non-profit fundraising strategies
- Researching, developing and writing successful grant proposals
- Non-profit budget management Applicants must have a valid California Driver’s License and reliable form of transportation. Applicants should be prepared to attend/participate in occasional evening meetings and weekend events.
This job requires 230 workdays. The workday is flexible requiring an average of 32 hours per week. The annual salary equates to approximately $30/hr.
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter, including contact information;
- Completed application form (form available here: Employment Application 2016) and
- Resume of no more than two (2) pages
Above items must be received no later than February 25, 2016.
Submit to either:
Board of Directors Pacifica School Volunteers 375 Reina del Mar Avenue Pacifica, CA 94044
Interviews for final candidates will be held Saturday, March 19, 2016.